Monday, November 26, 2012

Thankful - picture post!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I spend weeks planning and preparing, days cooking and baking... and gain a lifetime of memories. This year my partner in crime, Jen, spent the week over at our house, preparing and helping me get everything ready. Couldn't have done it without her!

The menu was quite extensive: 23-pound turkey, Honeybaked ham, to-die-for mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry jello salad, biscuits, corn casserole, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, pasta salad, appetizers (meat, cheese, crackers, candied nuts, fruit) lots and lots of ALCOHOL, made-from-scratch apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pecan pie, Hershey pie... and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Talk about food coma! 

Brother Brian, Cody, and Michelle

Bro in law James and sister Nik
 
Table decor

The clan!
 
FOOD!

Cute Kelli :)
 
I could eat his cheeks!


 
Cody and JJ

I'm thankful for him
 
Love my siblings!
 
Puppy love

 

... and I totally slept for 13 hours the next day, but it was worth every second of preperation and moments of exhaustion.

We took on a few little projects around the house before Thanksgiving.
First, I made these little candle holders from an idea I got on The Chew (thanks Clinton Kelly!)


Eric installed me a new kitchen sink! YAY!



Finally, what Thanksgiving weekend is complete without setting up the tree?!?


  

  

My cute Santa's helper!

Now, it's time to think about the Christmas menu. ;-)

In the meantime, I'm trying out some Paleo recipes in an attempt to eat healthier and get a jumpstart on my new years resolutions. This morning, I made this triple chocolate protein shake (yum)! Seeing that I don't like veggies, this will be an adventure in planning and conjuring up recipes that I like to eat. Here are a few of my favorites so far:

Simple Blueberry Muffins (where do I buy almond flour?)

As you can see I have a limited number of approved recipes so far. :-P I plan to have some salmon, sweet potato fries, lots of roasted potatoes, and turkey burgers.

Anyone ever eaten Paleo? I'm not going crazy, and not doing it 100% purist, but if I even cut back on my processed carbohydrates (hello, pasta almost every day of my life) by half, I'd be doing good. Any good recipe suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. you need some more veggies here miss!! (we will break you down bwa ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those candle holders! they would be super cute for Christmas if you made them with cinnamon sticks!
    You asked where to buy almond flour, you can usually get it at health food stores or whole food stores or sometimes online...but I have heard that you can make your own too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found some tonight at Publix. I wonder what the difference is between almond flour and coconut flour??

      Delete