Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On "having it all" vs. "having enough"

It's August! Wow. Like the rest of you probably feel, it seems like this year is flying by. The holidays are already on my mind because I'm already starting to plan our holiday gift drive for kids in foster care. ALREADY! The craziness I anticipate during the upcoming holidays already stresses me out. LOL.

Besides that, I am definitely enjoying our "break" from "trying" this month. We decided to take this next round off because we'll be out of town for a couple of weeks for work-related things. I didn't want to stress out about doctor appointments or getting my shot on the correct day and time. It's been a nice (quick) break. Before I know it it'll be time to start back up again.

Rewinding to catch up on a few highlights from the past month...



Birthday celebrations!
L: Chart House w/ my love on my birthday
R: Girls night with Jessica in Downtown Orlando for sushi and dancing!
  
L: Flowers, balloon, sign, and chocolate cake surprise when I got home from work!
R: Night out in Downtown Melbourne w/ my girls (Jen1, Jessica, Jen2, sister Nik and Tiffani)

Chilling on the beach w/ family and nephew :)

Eric came home from a week of ERT training in Alabama -- riot training and tactics, handling live chemical agents from weapons of mass destruction and all sorts of craziness. So glad to have him back!

Recently I've been re-evaluating priorities because I feel like I'm doing too much and don't have time for things that are most important. I was training for a triathlon AND my 4th half marathon, but decided just to do the half because it was all too much. My priorities right now are school (right now statistics are the bane of my existence) and work, as well as focusing on staying healthy for the fertility treatments in the upcoming months.

I posted this quote on my facebook the other day and it sort of sums up how I feel:

"Your life is as lonely as you would like to make it, your joy is as much as you decide to feel it, your night is as long as you decide to stay awake, and your destination is as far as you decide to walk."

I'm all about taking ownership for YOUR LIFE and not blaming anything or anyone else. Instead of saying "I can't afford that" I'm saying "I'm choosing not to spend my money on that". We control our own destiny by the choices we make. So empowering! I stumbled across this thought-provoking article about "having it all" versus "having enough". You must read the whole thing here, but here's a clip and what happens to be my favorite quote in the whole thing:

"When I look at friends and acquaintances, many with perfectly beautiful children and wonderful lives, and see how desperately unhappy or stressed they are about balancing work and family, I think to myself that the solution... to many problems is deceptively obvious. We are chasing the wrong things, asking ourselves the wrong questions. It is not, "Can we have it all?" -- with "all" being some kind of undefined marker that shall forever be moved upwards out of reach just a little bit with each new blessing. We should ask instead, "Do we have enough?"

Food for thought, and definitely a challenge for me to implement in my life!

We're headed to St. Augustine this weekend for several days... half vacation/half work conference, but I'm really looking forward to getting away! Will chat when I return. :-)

xo, Steph

1 comment:

  1. You are such an inspiration. I just thought I'd let you know :)

    ReplyDelete