Monday, April 23, 2012

The weekend that never ends

This weekend was by far the busiest, scariest, most tiring weekend I've had in quite some time -- if not ever. I can't say I've ever looked forward to the weekend ending and Monday coming around, but this time I am!!

It all started Friday late afternoon (I worked from home Friday which was a plus) when The Storm of 2012 starting coming through our area. Eric was driving us to Orlando for my friends nursing pinning ceremony, we were on the interstate going 75-80 mph and it was raining. The pups were in the back of the car. I was reading a textbook on my Kindle totally absorbed in studying Social Psychology when all of a sudden we started spinning! Eric spouted off some profanities as we kept spinning -- we had hydroplaned -- and I literally just held on for dear life and didn't say a thing.

I was sure we were going to get hit by another car - I mean we WERE on the interstate. It was no small miracle that we didn't get hit and didn't roll over. The drivers side of the car hit the middle concrete barrier hard, then we spun back across and Eric somehow got it off to the side of the road and we stopped.

Once my heart re-started, I heard Eric ask if I was ok and then I just started crying. My little dog Amira jumped in my lap and was shaking like a leaf, and our big dog Layla jumped over the back seat to try and come up front near us. In my head I was thinking, "I can't believe this just happened! How did it happen?" It was truly God's angels watching over us, that nothing worse happened, no one hit us and we were ok. I still get chills thinking about how much worse it could have been.

The worst hit - front left corner :(

The hood all messed up

The back damage

The car was obviously still driveable and we couldn't do anything right then, so we just put ourselves back together and moved on. That was the big start to our very long weekend. Talk about first impressions! We continued on to Michelle's nursing pinning ceremony.

Michelle and her fiancee Josh (a deputy who works w/ Eric and our good friends) at her nursing pinning ceremony.

We spent the night at Eric's parents in Orlando Friday night after the graduation, and got up Saturday morning to drive over to Tampa. Some of Eric's friends were at a beach in St. Pete so we hung out w/ them for a couple of hours until The Storm part II came through. I refused to drive if it even looked like rain, so then Eric and I headed over to Jen's house to hang out w/ her that night.

We got ready and had a carb-loading dinner at The Cheesecake Factory in preperation for my half marathon the following morning! I had a huge plate of four-cheese pasta with chicken and about half of a original cheesecake slice. I refrained from any alchololic beverages for fear of being dehydrated for my race (that was the hardest part!). :-)

Duck lips!
I went to bed at 9PM, but of course couldn't sleep. Its one of those things when you really need to sleep but absolutely can't... my brain wouldn't shut down and knowing I had to get up at 4AM made things difficult. Thankfully the rain stopped by the morning, and it was just overcast and windy. We made it to Clearwater Beach and got ready to race!

Pre-race

Another 13.1 finished!!

A cool sand sculpture photo-op!

Another medal for the collection!
Whew I was glad to be finished with half marathon #3!! There were two causeways in this race (one was at mile 11, ugh!) which was a first for me and made it quite challenging. The weather held up until the last mile and it started pouring, but stopped before the finish. It was such strange weather all weekend --sunny one minute and thunder and pouring rain the next. That's Florida for ya. I'm still hobbling around like an old lady this morning! Ouch.

After the race, the weekend caziness still wasn't over... we had some pizza and wings for lunch with Jen, then headed back to Orlando for another college graduation (of the same girl who was graduating as a nurse/pinning on Fri). I was completely exhaused, just wanted to go home, and nearly fell asleep during the 3-hour ceremony. But of course, when we got back to Eric's parents to pick up the dogs and GO HOME, they were headed out to dinner for his step-dads birthday.... so what do we do? Go with them.

This was seriously the weekend that wouldn't end! And usually that's a great thing! Ha. We were also driving seperately because we picked up Eric's other car from Tampa, so I fought falling asleep all the way home. Of course with fresh memories of our near-death experience from earlier, I absolutely didn't risk it and did whatever I needed to stay awake! We did finally get home at 10:30PM, I did as little as possible to get myself ready and fell into bed. What.a.freaking.weekend.

Today I'm thanking God for guardian angels, health and stamina, carbs, good insurance and sleep.

HAPPY MONDAY! How does your weekend compare to mine? ;-)

3 comments:

  1. How scary!! I'm so glad you guys are all okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting in an accident is one of my biggest fears and thankfully as not happened. I cannot say my weekend was all that thrilling other than an awkward sex talk at our pre-marriage class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good grief, i didn't realize you guys got home that late!! also, this little teeny tiny tid bit made me crack up in uproarious laughter: (of the same girl who was graduating as a nurse/pinning on Fri) !!!!!

    LOLOLOLOLOL

    what did i do this weekend? i stood in the pelting rain shivering under an umbrella with your husband at the finish line! (no i am not bitter about this at all) (secretly contemplating how i can get you to be stuck in the rain) (may lock you out of the house on wednesday) lol kiddin. ok i'm rambling. toodles.

    ReplyDelete