Thursday, December 8, 2011

Tis the Season

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself
in the service of others.
-- Mahatma Gandhi


This year I have the privilege of organizing and planning our annual toy drive for children in foster care. It's my first year doing this as a part of my new position at work, and I'm loving it. The quote above could not be more true for me at this time of the year.

Things can get crazy during the holidays. I heard someone say to a co-worker today, "Are you surviving the holidays?" and thought to myself, is that all we have left of this season? Survival?

Trust me, planning this toy drive is no small undertaking, and has consumed my time for several weeks (and months prior). I have felt my share of feeling overwhelmed, biting my tongue and reminding myself, "it's the most wonderful time of the year... right?!?" But then I see the community coming together, I get random calls from organizations who want to sponsor a needy family for Christmas, and I remember what this season is all about. Hope. Joy. Giving.

I must say, that even though I don't have any family nearby to celebrate with this year, I am full of love and appreciation for the things we have, overwhelmed with the blessings in our life, and truly grateful for the joy I am privileged to bring to these nearly 1500 kids who have been removed from their homes. Seems to keep everything in perspective. 

This is what Christmas is all about.

1 comment: