Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Special report on Bikram Yoga

As promised, I want to tell you all about my first Bikram Yoga experience! I must say, it was like nothing else I've ever done in my life. Recently, Run Disney posted this quote on Facebook: "No one ever drowned in sweat." Let's just say after this class, I think that statement is debateable.

I have never sweat more in my entire life, I'm pretty sure. There were four heaters in the room, and I was pretty close to one of them. I was put at ease a little bit in the beginning when my old personal trainer Pam showed up to the class - I had no idea she was going to be there! She was giving me some tips and pointers, as did the instructor guy before the class. I'm glad they warned me about the wierd breathing noises the people make during the breathing exercises, so I wasn't totally freaked out. :-)

The movements weren't too hard (ok... some of them were!), even though I couldn't fully do all of them. To me, the hardest part was being so, so, so HOT. Literally, it was like I was taking a shower in my own sweat. Even your toes are sweaty. You can barely get a grip on your own skin because it's just plain wet. Someone told me the benefit of heat is 1) detoxifying, 2) muscles being more relaxed, and 3) your heart works better when it's hot. I'm glad there is some benefit - because I wouldn't go through that shit for no reason!

The instructor was sort of rigid - meaning, he corrected me several times during the class for using my towel to soak up the river of sweat pouring down my face (I was using the big towel I was supposed to stand on to soak up sweat, and forgot my little face towel. Oops), and taking a drink of water when it wasn't his official "water break" time. That's one thing about yoga - some people are very ritualistic and spiritual about it - so please don't disturb them. Sorry but when I'm flailing around trying to twist my body into various shapes and sizes, while losing my entire body weight in sweat, I think you can cut me some slack dude. LOL. Oh my, it was an experience, to say the least.

I remember looking to the back of the room to see what time it was, and it hadn't even been an hour. I still had like 40 minutes to go! I kind of made an "ugh" face, and a girl behind me laughed and gave me a knowing look. I was glad I wasn't the only one struggling through it. I never left the room once (of course, the instructor forbid me to do so... haha not really, but he "encouraged" everyone to try and stay in the room), but two other people did leave. AND - I at least attempted every move, when some of the other people had to take a break and lay down. I was proud of my attempt, let's just put it that way. :-)

Towards the end I started feeling a little dizzy and was getting REALLY tired. But, I made it.

After the class I felt good, just really, really tired. The instructor said I did a great job, and looked like I was "glowing". HAHA. I think he was confused with my face looking like a cherry and glistening in sweat. Surprisingly, I wasn't sore all over after the class. The only part of my body that was killing me for several days were my hamstrings. OWW. They were SO tight and it took me a couple of days to loosen them.

Would I do it again? Maybe. I might try it once more. I think what I'd rather do is regular yoga, minus 106 degrees. I liked the stretching and all that - just not the hot part. I think someone like my sister (who LOVES being hot) would enjoy it more. My official recommendation is that everyone should try it at least once! That way you know whether you love it or hate it.

So there you have it - my special report on Bikram Yoga! :-) I want to know if any of you try it, and what you think of it! It's definitely worth experiencing once!

No comments:

Post a Comment