Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Can't" never did anything

Yesterday we had a work luncheon downtown, and my co-workers and I were sitting around talking about our exercise routines. I'm sure this topic was generated from the fact that the food we had just eaten was sitting happily in our tummies and we were thinking about how many hours it would take to burn it off. I know personally, I had half of my burger packed in a little to go box. It was the kind of burger that you cannot even fit into your mouth, you have to kind of go at it from an angle. You know the kind.

So we're talking exercise, and most people at work know I run. Further, most of them also know I'm training for my first half marathon coming up on October 1.

I always find it amusing the sort of reactions I get out of people when I say I ran 9 miles last Saturday. Or that I have 11 miles coming up this weekend as part of my training plan. Their eyes get big and round, and they sort of stammer out "Oh, I don't run. I can't run."

Really? You can't run?

I sometimes feel a little conceited when I tell people how far I'm running these days. It's almost an unfair image of me, because if they had only known how much I struggled to run a mile or two in years past. Up until June of this year I had never run farther than 4 miles. This weekend I'm running 11. But, I haven't always had this much stamina or motivation.

That's the thing about running... the more you run, the better you get.

But the reason I can run that far is because I told myself I could. Or even that I might. Just not can't.

I don't take "can't" for an answer. I'll accept "won't" - at least then you're taking responsibility and making a choice. But when you say you can't, you are cheating yourself of the opportunity to even try.

And we all know that every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.

Another one of my co-workers has a quote in the signature block of her email that I really like. It says, "'Can't' never did anything." True that.

So whatever it is that you're doubting you can accomplish, get out there and try it. Tell yourself that you just might be able to do it. You will probably be surprised with the results.

2 comments:

  1. So very true! I like your last sentence! I needed to read that! Lately I have been trying to get my Pampered Chef business going! And allot of it is getting out there and just asking random people in town, and that freaks me out, but I know I can do it! :) Thanks!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, just AWESOME post!! In all honesty I struggle a lot with telling myself too quickly into a run that I "can't" But one time I gave myself a huge long pep talk and with the help of Brit Brit on my iPhone, I was able to run alllll the way up a huge hill by our home :-) Way to go, keep up the hard work!!

    ReplyDelete