Thursday, July 14, 2011

Getting back to my roots

I've been blonde for many years. But like most blondes, it comes from a bottle and my roots are really a dirty/dark blonde to light brown. Latley I've been debating on whether I should "get back to my roots" and go a little darker.

I have gone dark in the past, and I must say it has not been pretty. However, I normally did it myself and it would either be way too dark or look brassy and reddish. My roots are mostly an ash brown/blonde.

Let's review some history:

This isn't the darkest my hair has ever been (I can't find pictures), but it gives you a good idea of the real color of my roots.

















This is the longest my hair has ever been. This is on my wedding day... I had extensions in, but I like it this length. I want to grow it out, and maybe actually do it for real this time!






















This is the lightest my hair has ever been... at the end of 2010.















And this is my hair now. You can see my mom's hair next to me, and I think that is probably close to what my color would look like if it was natural (you can also clearly see my roots in this pic... yuck. AND I had it colored two weeks before this trip! That's how quickly you can see the roots).

















Soooo, what I'm thinking about doing this weekend is getting some lowlights to start blending my natural color into the blonde. I don't want to go all drastic right away, but eventually I want my natural color with maybe a few blonde highlights every now and then.

I'm thinking something like this to start with:






















What do you think? I really want to go for it... it's time for a change.

Also, if any of you have had success with any tricks that make your hair grow faster, I'd love to hear them! My hair grows slower than slowwwwww...  and I am not a patient person when it comes to my hair. The longest I grew it out was right before my wedding to make sure the extensions would look ok, and I was so fet up with it I just pulled it back all the time.























Oh - I found this picture from several months ago when I did some dark coloring in my hair:


















Ok... I need opinions! Help! :)

6 comments:

  1. I really like the dark highlights. I am going back to my natural hair color right now too so I can grow my hair out for the wedding. My frustration is that my roots are dark and the ends are always blonde! I want to put some highlights in it right now, but I know I'll hate how it looks when it grows out.

    Its been so much easier to deal with my hair when I don't have to worry about coloring it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ideas about teh lowlights--the inspiration pic is cute. And the last pic of you with lowlights looks good on you. I am partial to blonde, but it's so hard to keep up with, hard to keep hair healthy, etc. Also, I've found my hormones can really miss with bleaching color. Anyways, I think you should go for the darker look with lowlights. Can't wait to see the results!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your in dark hair...that last pic is awesome. lo lites, hi lites. Yes baby! Go for it.
    You look good in ANY hair do too. long or short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hair really light. It's a tough look to pull off but you do it justice! xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair looks pretty in every picture to me! It looks like we have the same color roots! Ashey blonde! I just put highlights in mine and that way the roots aren't as obvious when they start showing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im trying to grow mine out too! I want to give to locks of love, but i dont want to cut my hair past my shoulders! Plus, I need to let it all grow out cause I have dyed it in the past!
    I think dark would look awsome on you!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete