Monday, April 18, 2011

Thank you for being my friend

Have you ever thanked your friends for being, well...your friends? I find more and more that true friends are hard to come by, and even harder to make last. How many times I have met someone, only to find out in a few months (or years) down the road they they are not, and never were, a true friend. Or, worse, that someone who was once your true friend has slowly drifted apart, and poured salt on the wound by befriending someone new.


I must say, I've been struggling with this for some time. I have self-diagnosed myself with a combination of hightened self-awareness and too much busyness. I say self-awareness because as I get older, I find my standards have changed. I become less superficial. I care more about my family than friends. My friends have to think the same way in order to be my friend. But see, if they do have the same beliefs and standards, those priorities won't get in the way.



I also expect honesty and sincerity from my friends, only because I can't help but be the same way. If I see someone is mistreating you - no matter what your relationship with that person - I will tell you. If the basis of our relationship is based on anything other than truth, it can only last so long.



I recently had a friend's husband, who we were previously friends with, delete me on facebook because I'm being honest with his wife (my friend) about how he treats her. It is wrong, and I told her so. I think she needs to do something about it, and he doesn't like that very much. I don't care. Do I fear that this tension will soon jepordize my relationship with her? Yes. Is it worth it? Absoutely.



I refuse to compromise my standards and ethics out of fear. 

I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them. I've learned that no matter the consequences, those who are honest with themselves, get farther in life.

Thank you for being my friend.

4 comments:

  1. What a well written post! I've had some problems with friends in the last three years. There are two girls I was very close with in high school that don't speak to me anymore bc of a very dumb fight we got into over me not answering my phone....seriously?!?! We were 22 when this happened, but both of them seem to like high school style drama and I'm probably better off not having them in my life right now.

    The close friends I do have are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww! smooches!!!

    we need another girls weekend.. stat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it seems to be fate that I stumbled upon this post today.

    This past week, I have realized that the girl I thought was my best friend has done nothing but decieve me recently. It has been a kick in the gut. Plus, really frustrating because I feel like I am too old to be dealing with backstabbing and drama. :(

    You're right, it is rare to come across a true friend and when they are found, they should not be taken for granted...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good friends are hard to come by. That's why family is so much more worth the effort!!

    ReplyDelete