Thursday, January 20, 2011

I'm in a mood

Ok guys, I'm seriously in a mood. I've been in one for a while now, and it's still goin' strong.

I apologize now if you are one of those people who never post anything negative on your blog, your facebook, or wherever you post. I do. And because it's my blog, I can. If you don't like it, please do us all a favor and stop reading now.

First of all, there's facebook. I actually just posted this status:

i'm not one of those people who go through and delete friends regularly. in fact, i've never done it. but i'm slowly feeling the need arise... that, along with a break from fb for a while. some people are seriously annoying.
I don't know if it's me taking things too personally, or if I'm just feeling the need to purge, but there's a need to do something. I'm not going to name specific details because god knows I've pissed off enough people this week alone, and I learn from past experience quite well. But there are things/people who are at the top of my "irritating" list right now, and I need to take a break. Starting tomorrow, I'm not getting on all weekeend. You have my word. I know that doesn't seem like much, but we'll see how it goes.

I've had this strong attitude latley of just "being who I am", and if you don't like it, you can shove it. In so many words, I wish I could say that to everyone right now. I also work really, really hard at everything I do. I am professional at work, I'm a loyal friend, and I love my family. I manage to find time to work full time, go to school full time, cook dinner, clean the house, play with the dogs, and exercise most days of the week. That's just who I am. I'm not sure how that's relevant to my tirade, but I feel the need to say it.

My husband has this "friend" (I'm using that term lightly) who constantly puts people down. This person minimizes everything you do, because what they do is better. This person knows everything about everything. Even if they've never done it, and you have a lifetime of experience doing said activity, they still know more about it than you do. Let me tell you, this gets super duper annoying really fast. I could give you at least 20 specific examples of this in the past month. But like I said before, the guilty shall remain nameless.

Second, there's people at work. So I'm managing this conference, right. It is less than a month away and it's seriously crunch time. We really need a production team running it, and it's being run by 3 people in the office, with me being one of them. We just got out of a meeting with the "team" who is supposed to being doing their thing, you know, taking responsibility and getting shit done. Well I discovered in this meeting that one individual had not followed-up with someone who had offered to make a donation to/sponsor the conference, even though I had given him the contact information twice. I sort of got onto him, but nothing much. I then asked his assistant to make sure he contacts that individual. Well, after the meeting his supervisor comes up to me and says "You know, it really is inappropriate to call someone out like that in a room full of people..." blah blah blah. Oh, stop defending him for not doing his job. He doesn't get off the hook any more than I would. I'm busting my ass to make this conference a success for our agency, and he can't make a damn phone call. Finally, his supervisor had the nerve to say "Well, you should have known not to give a job like that to a man."

*ahem* You'll excuse me.

I'm sorry, what did you say?

A MAN?!? Does that mean I can stop doing what I'm doing because "I'm a woman" and shouldn't be expected to be responsible for all of this crap???? I'm sorry, is that what you're saying?? Maybe I misunderstood you. Seriously.

This is when maintaining my composure and remaining professional is something I whisper under my breath like Brick just to remind myself of it's importance. Bite my tounge. Remember I'd like to still have a job tomorrow.

And move on.

I guess what I said earlier about everything I do in the day, is because I expect the same level of excellence and professionalism from everyone else. I expect to be able to speak my mind, and for the receipient to be strong and smart enough to argue it out with me if they don't agree. If you have an opinion, stick to it. Do your best work every day. I do. If you don't, I don't have much respect for you, nor will I cut you any slack.

If you have something to vent about on your blog, then girl, you can vent. If you are frustrated about something, feel free to say it.

Last I checked it's a free country.

"Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude."
~Ralph Marston

5 comments:

  1. There has been someone, a friends husband, that has been making me insane since before they got married. He belittles my boyfriend because he's a "manual laborer" when he is deep in debt, works 3rd shift answering phones and is 35 with no job skills. He makes me insane, but his wife is one of my best friends so I'm not sure what to do.

    Kudos to you for venting, we all need to do that now and then!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and think it's great you speak up! I'm working on doing that.. Also working on putting more on my blog of what I WANT to put not the right or wrong things...
    I saw your status and agree, some people are TOOOO much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Stephanie, sorry you're feeling so down :-( Glad you feel like you can vent here, it's your blog!! You take a few days off your Facebook, and hopefully things will turn around. Enjoy your weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started speaking up..and not letting people walk all over me. Sadly, it was with a relative and ever since then, we haven't had contact. I have been civil, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it...If she wants to be the b*tch about it all, then I am going to let her be that. And all this went down before the holidays..after she threatened me to watch what I was saying because I "HAD to spend key moments of the holiday with HER"..you can't threaten me. I can act like an adult and not an elementary student.
    All this resulted in purging my facebook friends list..but you know, I'm better because of it. This way, if she wants to know what's up, she can contact me the old fashioned way...via phone or face to face!

    Sorry about ranting a bit on your comments...but I just wanted to let you know it's okay to rant/vent. Like the reader above said "It's YOUR blog!!"

    have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good job for being who you are, it's amazing and you should never be anything less! i'm proud of you for stating your opinion; i didn't in the past and then i was harder on myself for not being true to myself! thanks for the courage for me to be me even more now. ;)

    ReplyDelete