Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Happy Tuesday + a recipe

I had a "weekend re-cap" post for yesterday but got so busy at work I couldn't post it. Plus it was sorta boring. We basically had a good weekend and I got some shopping in and cleaning done! I love relaxing, yet productive, weekends.

Yesterday was the first GOOD Monday I can remember in a very long time. It was really awesome! Things just went well, someone brought oatmeal/peanut butter/M&M cookies into work so I had those for breakfast. MmMmmMMM. The CEO gave me a huge compliment and that made my day as well.

Eric had a panel interview at one of the departments last night, so after work I went to the gym and ran a few miles, then made baked potato soup for dinner. It was super good! It was a Weight Watchers recipe but I added a few things to make it a little tastier. :) Even Eric liked it... and that is always a good sign.



















Here it is if you want to try it. It's getting closer to my favorite season (Fall!) and I'll probably make this again once we finally get some cooler weather in Florida.

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients
1 bulb(s) garlic clove(s), large, 1/4-inch-slice cut off top
3 pound(s) potato(es), rinsed, pierced with a fork (about 6 large baking potatoes)
6 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon
4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 Tbsp thyme, fresh, chopped
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
6 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
6 Tbsp low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
6 Tbsp scallion(s), sliced

Directions
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Wrap entire garlic bulb tightly in foil; place garlic and potatoes in oven. (You do not need to put them on a pan; they can go right on an oven rack.) *I did this while I went running, and they were almost done when I got back*

Bake garlic until soft when squeezed, about 45 minutes; remove from oven and let cool. Continue baking potatoes until tender when pierced, about 15 minutes more; let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Place bacon on paper towels to drain off any fat; chop bacon.

Unwrap garlic and squeeze pulp from bulb with hands into a large saucepan. Peel potatoes and add to saucepan; mash with a potato masher until smooth. *I left a few chunks... better in my opinion* Gradually stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper until blended; place saucepan over medium heat and cook until hot, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 10 minutes.

Spoon about 1 1/3 cups of soup into each of 6 soup bowls. Top each with 1 tablespoon of sour cream, 1 tablespoon of cheese, 1 rounded tablespoon of bacon and 1 tablespoon of scallions. Grind fresh pepper over top if desired.

**Additions: When I made this it sort of looked watery, so I added a few things. I heated up 1/2 a stick of butter, about 3/4 cup skim milk, flour (to thicken it, because it was kinda thin),  about a 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream and about 1/2 a cup of cheddar cheese and poured it in. Totally did the trick and it was SUPER good!**

Tonight I have class (gotta give an introductory speech) and pizza for dinner! Happy Tuesday!

2 comments: