Friday, June 18, 2010

Cruise: Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Our final stop was in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I'd hear a lot of rumors about the people here and how aggressive they are and how we should be really careful. I even heard some guy talking in the elevator about how he may not even get off the boat! I was skeptical, but I wanted to see for myself.

Turns out, it was one of my favorite places! It was absolutely gorgeous first of all...



















The people are very friendly, and their response to everything is "Ya mon" or "No problem mon". So funny! When you come across people selling something (in the poor areas) they are a little "agressive", I guess, but if you just say "no thank you" and keep walking they'll leave you alone. We did have a guy offer us a "smoke" (marijuana) ... no thanks! Ha! I was probably asked three times if I wanted my hair braided too.

We took a taxi to Dunn's River Falls and had a tour guide help us climb to the top.












































It was a lot of work! We were in a long line of people and held hands. I was stuck with this old man in front of me who thought my name was Tiffany the whole time... haha... but he was nice. Eric was stuck helping an old lady behind him and said he basically carried her up the falls! She thanked him after were done and said she couldn't have done it without him... no kidding. Ha!


Finally done! My legs were shaking at the end. I had no idea it would practically be a workout, because I had gone running that morning in the gym on the ship! I was exhausted, but it was so fun!

After drying off, we went back to wait for our taxi driver. The Jamaicans certainly proved their "no problem mon" attitude because the driver was an hour late! We ended up paying another guy to drive a group of us back... so annoying. Once we got back to the city we attempted to do some shopping. It is hard to get away from the people and the things you don't want to buy, but we made it eventually! We got a painting and some Jamaican rum!

We stopped at a little bar and had the local beer, Red Stripe, at the recommendation of our waiter on the ship, Donavan (who is from Jamaica).


Eric said hi to a local policeman...

I liked the Jamaican people because when they are trying to sell you something they call the wife "Boss Lady". Cracks me up!

... and with that we said goodbye to Jamaica!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds like such a great time!! Can I come with you next time? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful time, love all of the photos!

    ReplyDelete