Monday, June 21, 2010

Conglomeration ... is that even a word?

Following is a conglomeration of randomness of things that have been happening latley!

(Conglomeration IS a word! It means: "That which consists of many previously separate parts; An instance of conglomerating, a coming together of separate parts.")

I forget if I told you, but Eric passed his State Exam. Oh, I think I told you that part already. The part I didn't tell you was he applied at several police departments/sheriff's offices, and one responded within 24 hours! They asked him to come in to drop off paperwork and have his voice stress-test scheduled for tomorrow already! This department wasn't his first choice (for salary reasons), but he's going through the process anyway, just in case the others don't respond.
 
I'm so nervous/excited! If anything, I was encouraged that he got picked up so quickly. If this is any indication of how well he will do, I know he will have NO problem being successful.
 
Because of all of this, several things are happening. First, we spent over $700 buying suits for him on Saturday. Y-i-k-e-s. But, it was necessary for interviews. Besides, every guy should own a suit or two. He I picked out an olive colored suit and a charcoal grey. It was fun mixing and matching shirts and ties, but holy crapola it is effing expensive. The first total came to almost $1,000 and there is no way we were dropping that on clothes. I pissed off the sales girl and made her unwrap everything and gave back a few shirts, ties, and socks (and a tie clip that I didn't even know was included - sneaky, sneaky) to bring the cost down. Sorry babe, but we're going to Ross to pick out the rest of your ensemble. Now that I think about it, I wish we would have done that with everything except the suits. Ohhh well.
 
We have to pay for the first round of alterations which made the cost higher. After this, they are free, along with pressing and cleaning. Thank god something is free! Highway robbery, I tell you!
 
Second, starting in October I'll  have to go through my job for health insurance. No more free, 100% coverage Tricare. *tear* Back to the real world of co-pays, deductibles , annual maximums and 1 hour waits in the doctors office. Of all the things we're losing by leaving the military, this one I will probably miss the MOST.
 
Third, I feel like we need to start looking at houses -- either to rent or buy. The only problem is, we have no idea where he will officially get hired yet. It could be here in Melbourne where we live now, or over in Orlando which is 30 minutes away. We have about 3 months before we'll need to move, but if you're buying a house, don't you start at least that early?? Especially if it's your first time?
 
But we can't! I don't know what to do. Especially when I see houses like this for sale at $109,000 (!!) and want to buy it today.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Or this one, a two-story, 4 bedroom, with a POOL, for $155,000!
   


Isn't it gorgeous?? It's so hard to wait when you see great deals like this and want to run to the realtor right now! I have a love-hate relationship with my new favorite website, Hotpads.com. It shows the location of houses in the area you're looking on a map. There are so many houses for sale, it's overwhelming!

So I'm sitting on my hands and waiting. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that there are plenty of deals like this one when we're ready.

Those are just a few of the things on my mind. I thought the military motto was "hurry up and wait"... but it seems that is haunting me even outside of the military.

Oh well, I'm off to find some new recipes for dinner... grocery shopping tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I say if you wanna look at houses, start looking! It took me and Andrew about 6 months because we started on the West Side of Columbus and ended up on the East Side because he got a new job - same boat as you about 30 mins away from where we were living!

    Glad to hear that all is well and thanks as always for your awesome comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy...don't get me started on house hunting. We have been trying for over a year and a half! My best advice: STAY AWAY FROM SHORT SALES! They are of the devil. Seriously. Time wasted. Anyway, I'm excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. man...you changed your site AGAIN! What's with you? Yes...I would even consider getting that home...wow, what a deal. I'd love a pool these days.
    Praying for the best for you both!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life gets exciting, huh?! I hope you find the right house and I have to start paying for my own health insurance through work soon enough too, grr!

    ReplyDelete