Thursday, May 6, 2010

Writer's Workshop: Memories of Mom

In honor of Mother's Day, I am choosing to write from the prompt "Memories of Mom". My mom has a blog and I hope she enjoys reading! :) Happy Mother's Day Mom!

I have a ton of memories of my mom ...

- First of all, she homeschooled us all the way through highschool -- none of us ever went to a public school! So we spent 24/7/365 with her. Good or bad... that was how we grew up! Haha. Today I'm glad for that experience. It made me who I am today, and although I definitely won't be homeschooling my kids (I have nowhere near the amount of organization and patience that she does) I'm really glad she gave up her career and spent all that time with us growing up!

- In my early teen years I thought I was NOTHING like my  mom. She didn't like a lot of the girly things I did, like getting her hair and nails done, shopping, etc. Now that I'm even older (and wiser?), I realize I'm a LOT like my mom in many ways. Turns out she does like doing those girly things, I just never knew. Also, she gave me her LEGS (thanks alooootttt for that one!)... her one tiny hair that grows on the bottom of her chin... her characteristic of always wanting to be right... haha. But I can only hope to look as good as she does when I'm her age. ;)

- Mom is a great cook. Just ask my husband, he reminds me of that fact every time we are visiting them! Ha. I hope I inherited that gene.

- Something I always remember about mom and dad is that they never disagreed in front of us kids. If they did not agree about something, they'd never discuss it in front of us... they always presented a united front. As a kid that was frustrating because there was no thinking "Mom said no, so I can just go ask Dad!" Didn't matter - their answers were always the same. That combined with their marriage of 26 years really gave us a great life growing up. I am so thankful that mom and dad stuck it out and have a great marriage today. It really gives me an ideal picture of what a marriage should and can be!

- No matter what, mom always knew when I was sick. She said she could tell just by looking in my eyes. And still to this day, mom is the most compassionate and always the one I 'want' to be around when I am sick (aside from maybe my hubby). It's a mom thing I guess. :)

- I will probably never know the amount of pain and suffering I put mom through in my lifetime. She always jokes that I was her "problem child"... you know, the middle child with the most insecurities that needed the most attention... but I always know she loves me. Never questioned that. There were times I thought she wanted to murder me... haaha just kidding! :) But love - that has always been there. She is a great mom. I couldn't ask for anything better than everything that she is.




I love you mom and hope you have a very special Mother's Day!You're the best! I love you!


3 comments:

  1. How awesome :) love love love this post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sniff, sniff..I am touched! But...let me get this out first...Could you have used any worse pictures of me. LOL!! Guess it shows the REAL me, not all dolled up. Ha.
    You WERE and probably still ARE my "problem child"...to the very core. You were so easy to raise little, but then you grew up and "blossomed" into a determined young lady. Wow. Did we butt heads many times.
    Yes, I love you dearly...and it pains me sometimes to think of all the struggles we have been through for you...but you will use those in your coming years as "teachers" and guides for you as you raise your family.
    I pray for you daily and trust you will be all that God wants of you and desires for you.
    So now all the world knows about our "fat" legs with varicose veins, and our little hair on our chinny chin chin. LOL.

    Looking forward to going out or something next weekend. Wish it could be this weekend, but one week won't kill me.
    Thanks again for the precious post.
    Love you bunches.
    xoxoxo
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I'm copying! I wold of never guessed you were home schooled..

    ReplyDelete