Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Taco squares

Ok so last night I made a new Weight Watchers recipe I found online called Taco Squares. At first I thought some of the ingredients sounded wierd,(tomato sauce in a taco recipe??) but I figured I'd try it. I switched a few things up (refried beans instead of kidney beans) but ... OMG. It was SO GOOD. I'm so bummed I forgot the leftovers at home and I have a lunch meeting so I can't go home for lunch today!! (I know it's good when I'm excited about leftovers). The cool thing about it is, you can eat just the meat stuff with nachos, or you can put it on the crescent rolls like the recipe calls for. Yummm yumm yum.

Ok enough already, here's the recipe! See my "notes" in red.

Taco Squares

6 Points - Serves 6 (2 squares each)

1 (8 ounce) can Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Rolls (I used the reduced fat ones and they tasted great)
8 ounces ground 90% lean beef or turkey (I always buy 97% lean beef)
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper (I didn't include this)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used onion powder)
1 3/4 cups Hunts Tomato Sauce (15 ounce can) (I used Prego and only put in 1 1/2 cups)
6 ounces red kidney beans, drained and slightly mashed (8 ounce can) (Fat free refried beans were better!)
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
3/4 cup shredded Kraft Reduced Fat Taco or Cheddar Cheese

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large skillet sprayed with olive-flavored cooking spray, saute meat, green pepper and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce, kidney beans and Taco seasoning. Lower heat and simmer until heated through.

Meanwhile, pat crescent rolls in a 9 x 13-inch cookie sheet sprayed with olive-flavored cooking spray, being sure to seal perforations. (ok seriously, this was almost impossible. I couldn't seem to roll out the crescent rolls without them breaking apart. but if you at least get them in the pan you can smoosh the pieces together and it works just fine.) Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread hot meat mixture over lightly browned crust. Continue baking an additional 10 minutes. (I didn't bake this long because my rolls were getting brown) Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over top and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts. (my cheese was melting as soon as I put it on top, so I only stuck it back in the oven for a minute or so) Let set 2 or 3 minutes before serving. Cut into 12 pieces.

ENJOY!!

6 comments:

  1. I think I will have to make these! You should look for the crescent rolls that are just in one sheet for this recipe, they don't have all of the cuts in them. I am not sure how many stores carry them or what grocery stores you have where you live, but I've found them at 3 different places around here. Its called Place and Bake, I use it for my veggie pizza and it tastes the same just no cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum...gonna try this for sure! How many points is it and serving size please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will try this! Sounds great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm these sound good! I will have to try also - I've just started on Weight Watchers this week and I know it's gonna get really old eating boring stirfries and veggies/fruit all day. Plus I need ways to get protein. Thanks for sharing - printing now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try it out Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound tasty! I'll have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete