Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Record temp in FL

I'm pretty sure I heard the weather man say that last night was the coldest it's been in Florida in over a decade! Seriously people?!?

This is what Eric's car looked like this morning at about 6:30 when I went running (IN the gym). I had to scrape off the ice so I could see!
















Is that snow?? I can't tell... haha.

Last night I tried out a new weight watchers recipe, called Layered Mexican Chicken. I wasn't sure about it, but Eric RAVED over it and even brought the leftovers to work today! (the TRUE test of if he likes what I make - because he doesn't like leftovers!) Mine didn't look this prettty, but it sure tasted good! I also cut the servings in half, so we wouldn't have as much leftover.














Layered Mexican Chicken

Ingredients:
1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
2 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
30 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
2 cup(s) shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese, divided
8 oz chopped green chilies, two 4-oz cans
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
12 medium corn tortilla(s), cut into 2-inch strips
1 cup(s) salsa, mild, medium or hot

 
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a lasagna pan with cooking spray.

Place chicken in medium saucepan and fill with enough cold water just to cover chicken. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.

Transfer chicken to a large bowl and add beans, sour cream, 1 cup of shredded cheese, chilies, cumin, and pepper; mix well and set aside.

Arrange half of tortillas in bottom of prepared lasagna pan, overlapping pieces to cover surface. Top tortillas with half of chicken mixture, layer with remaining tortillas and then top with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese.

Bake until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Serve with salsa on the side.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh that sounds so tasty! I'll have to definitely check that out sometime :-)

    And what the heck with your weather?? I really do feel sorry for you as you're not used to the cold weather! Yesterday the news said that we're going to have a record cold winter up here-- FUN! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr, talking about ice makes me cold! Hope you feel warmer today. That recipe looks and sounds so good! I love Mexican food, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. V-day gift swap at my blog if you wanna join - have a happy day today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum--that sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete