Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

I have volunteered to make Thanksgiving dinner for my whole family this year (about 8 people, not including babies). I can't wait to learn how to make a turkey and all that... but I need to start planning my menu! I think I'll just look up some recipes online and go from there. I'm using my mom's turkey recipe, and I just need sides and desserts and drinks. I'm going to get creative.

I found this Winter White Sangria recipe the other day that I want to try. I can't figure out if I want to have it on Thanksgiving, or later in December when we're having a family holiday party w/ Eric's extended family plus mine (Oh yeah, I'm cooking for that too!). It looks so good!


















I've seen quite a few recipes for it, all with a variation of ingredients. I'm not sure which one sounds best so far. Here is one of them from Taste of Home:

Ingredients

  • 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 medium oranges, washed and sliced
  • 1 medium lemon, washed and sliced
  • 1 bottle (750 ml) Riesling or other sweet white wine
  • 1 medium tart apple, cut into thin slices
  • 1/4 cup triple sec
  • 2 cups lemon-lime soda, chilled
  • Ice cubes

Directions

  • In a large pitcher, combine the pineapple juice, lemon juice and orange and lemon slices; mash gently with a wooden spoon until fruit is partially crushed. Add the wine, apple slices and triple sec. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
  • Just before serving, add soda. Serve over ice.
Other recipes I've seen use grapes, pears, etc. Can't wait to try it! :) Of course I'm going to make Pumpkin Pie for our Thanksgiving dessert, but I've also found a lot of creative ways to switch it up that sound delicious. We'll see what I come up with. :)

I'm home for lunch right now and really wish I could stay home for the rest of the day and make a new blog background - I'm tired of this one already! That's the curse of being a designer I guess. Haha. I also promised Sarah I'd make her one, which I have yet to do...... (yeah yeah, I know...). I've been busy making REAL websites for REAL, PAYING clients. (*cough*cough*) Last night I had a conference call for two hours with this guy teaching me stuff about Wordpress (the online software I'm using for my websites now). My parents sat in on it also, and ended up paying for the whole thing! Woohoo!

4 comments:

  1. I always get tired of my blog layout too, so I know how you feel. I hope cooking for your fam goes well, sounds like you are off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Your 1st Holiday Meal @ your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sangria recipe sounds so good! Love your blog, especially your fabulous header...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am SO impressed that you're prepping T-Giv dinner for the entire fam!! i feel accomplished when i contribute ONE DISH :)

    ReplyDelete