Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday's thoughts

Last night after my run I didn't feel so good - that kind of feeling you get when you know you're getting sick. I'm hoping it's nothing and will go away by tomorrow, but right now I sure wish I could crawl into bed and sleep the day away. Plus it's rainy and overcast = perfect "do nothing" weather.

All of that combined has put me in a rather melancholy mood. That means I've been thinking about a lot of stuff, which is always dangerous. Yesterday I started thinking about people, our impessions of them, their behavior and how people often don't realize what they are doing and how it affects those around them. I'm including myself in this analysis.

Recently I was selected to participate in a Professional Development conference call with a few other people in my office. It started this month and goes until next June. Part of the training includes the DiSC personality profile, which we'll be doing next month. We've also been talking about your Executive Presence and how people sum you up in about 20 seconds, before you even say a word. For example, if you smoke, have bad teeth, and are overweight people equate that with being low class. (I know this seems judgemental, but it's based on scientific evidence! You do it too!)

Anyway, I also found this article on msn.com which relates to the issue. Here is a sample:

Others' perceptions. Your own perceptions alone may not give you an accurate picture of your behavior, thoughts or functioning. Other people in your life, on the other hand, might be able to do so. To you, your life may seem normal, but what you think of as quirks or personality traits may be causing more problems than you realize. To those around you, your behavior may seem odd or disruptive. For example, if you have bipolar disorder, you may think your mood swings are just part of the normal ups and downs of life. But to others, your thoughts and actions may appear abnormal or cause problems at work, in relationships or in other areas of your life.


I have thought about this relating to myself as well. (I'm not bipolar. I know people who are.) I have the type of personality that is very e-v-e-n and calm. It drives me crazy when people ride emotional rollercoastsers and can't control their emotions. I don't understand "panic attacks" or "meltdowns". Get a grip. Deal with your emotions, work through them, and stop throwing them up on everyone around you.

All that to say -- this is stuff that's worth thinking about. It's something that too often goes completely unnoticed. Immature people don't really care what "others think about them" because they want to do whatever they please and not realize the affect it has on others.

I'm learning to realize I have an affect on every single person I meet. So do you.

How you're affecting them... that is the question.

4 comments:

  1. I agree.

    MMR opened my eyes to all the different personalities, leadership types, conflict types, and natural tendencies people have.

    Now that I'm in the "real world" I'm experiencing it first hand. There are plenty of people who I think are odd, annoying, weird, eccentric, extreme, whatever. I also realize that many people are thinking the same things about me. (probably more now that I'm married to Joe. haha.)

    That doesn't help my already existent insecurity and desire to be liked.

    This world is filled with people, each with different opinions and standards for what is normal. It's kind of been a weight off my shoulders to realize that I'll never be able to please everyone, and it's impossible to be liked by everyone.

    I do my best to make a good first impression and to present myself in a non-offensive way, but I also realize the importance of staying true to myself.

    Granted, I'm coming from a personal/making friends standpoint. I'm sure its somewhat different when making good impressions in the workplace.

    I agree most with the fact that a lot of people don't even realize that others may think and act differently than they do. Those are the most annoying to deal with, because they never see any need to adapt to a situation and are always making those around them uncomfortable.

    In summary: At least I know I'm weird, and when to tone it down a little. Great post, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Stephanie! I agree with you on this! It got me to thinking about what kind of impression I make on people.

    Thank you!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true hun, but I definitely think there are a lot of people with anxiety out there and they have a hard time dealing with it because depression may be a factor or other forces. I often try to ask my friends what I do that bothers them or what they like so I can be more assertive about myself and figure out how I may be affecting others, as you said. Obviously I want to make people happy and feel loved, that is my ultimate goal. Happy Friday and have a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey love, I do agree with what you just said. :) Thanks for your comment, I know definitely some people use their illness as an excuse, I have seen it quite often. Drama! Thanks for your thoughts, have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete