Thursday, July 16, 2009

All on a Wednesday

Sometimes I think my life is boring, repetitive, and unchanging. I basically do the same thing every day: wake up, take my bouncy, over-energetic dog out to pee, shower and get ready, go to work till 5, hit the gym, make dinner, spend time w/ Eric, and go to bed. That is basically it. I'm always intrigued by people who can find the littlest things that happen and make them interesting. I've decided to try and focus on the small things, the details and often go unnoticed throughout my day, and write about them occasionally.

At work yesterday, I had a meeting with my supervisor, as I often do. She is going to be out of town tomorrow and all next week (just like my other boss), so I'll be on my own. (insert *woo-hoo!* here) At this meeting, my supervisor was following up on an incident that happened last week involving another lady here at work, who I'll call Lucille. (I've decided that is my name for people who I'm not particularly fond of. I've already given it out once this year.) I won't get into the details, but Lucille had basically been very rude and inappropriate to me, so I mentioned it to my supervisor, and it has now revealed bigger issues I didn't even know existed. During our meeting my supervisor told me how she was going to deal with it, which I am happy about. Turns out, the CEO ended up finding out what went on, which makes me even happier that she knows what a four-letter word Lucille is. It makes me smile. Maybe that makes me a four-letter word too, but I don't particularly care.

Yesterday was my nephew's 2nd birthday - he got a pony. So after work, I'm on my way to the base gym to meet Eric for a workout. We were supposed to meet around 6, and I was there at 5:30, so I decided to go ahead and get my nephew a birthday gift at the store on base. I'm making my way to the children's clothing section, and all the while I'm eyeing the women's clothes on my right. Normally, I don't buy clothes there, and I've been known to say that all of their clothes are ugly and old-fashioned. Today, however, I seem to spot every cute item they have and feel the need to try them on, just to see. Needless to say, I left there at 6:15 with the two items (out of the 10 I must've tried on) I decided I couldn't live without, $60 poorer. And no birthday present for JJ. But I'm happy. I'll work on the birthday present again tomorrow.

So I'm at the gym on the treadmill, Eric walks in. "Hey babe, what are YOU doing for the rest of my life?" I just love him. Gosh. I'm so glad he thinks I'm sexy all the time, even when I'm hot, sweaty and my boobs and butt are bouncing. (that just put another image in my head... maybe that's why he thinks I'm hot at that particuar moment...)

Anyway, 1.6 miles, a tornado warning, and a chicken alfredo dinner later, Eric get's online and says, "hey, you started a blog?" and starts to read. "Ya know," he says, "people write blogs like they think people actually care about what they have to say. There's always someone else who is writing exactly the same thing you are."

Leave it to my husband to be brutally honest.

"That's not why I'm writing a blog, babe. I'm writing because I like to write."

"I know babe, and you're really good at it. You really could be a writer. You know, you remind me of that lady on Sex in the City... the one who's always typing on her laptop...what's her name? Samantha? Except minus being a whore."

Actually her name is Carrie Bradshaw. But I'm glad he doesn't think I'm a whore. And I was very impressed he made a reference to Sex in the City when he's probably never seen a whole episode or even 30 seconds of the movie.

I guess there are some things left to learn.

"Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams." (Ashley Smith)

1 comment:

  1. Very insipring :) I too get bogged down in the day to day and forget to notice all the wonderful blessings and "little things" around me. Good post!

    ReplyDelete