Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Single vs. Married

Last night I saw a girl on TV with her nose pierced - one of those cute, tiny little diamond ones. I thought "Hm, maybe I want to get my nose pierced", and no sooner did that thought cross my mind then I immediately remembered that I'm married and Eric would probably not be too excited about that. I had a moment of reflecting on all the things I could still do if I was single, such as:

- Have a more flexible schedule
- Party and stay out late
- Travel whenever I want, on a moments notice
- Have a whole bed to myself
- Flirt with cute guys
- Be irresponsible with my money and shop till I drop
- Get my nose pierced, my hair cut short, etc.

It only took me a few minutes to make a mental list and recall memories of my "single days" when I was dating a lot, partying more, being more experiential with things, and doing whatever I wanted. I am glad I had a few years like that - I needed them. But would I really want to go back there?

Definitely not. I agree that both sides (single vs. marriage) have their charms . But having experienced both, I have to say I am much better off where I am today. I have grown so much as a person, as a woman, a wife, a daughter, an employee, an aunt, a sister .... I've changed. I believe that people can change and mature regardless of whether they are married or not - but I think marriage has sped up that process for me.

Eric is the best thing that has ever happened to me. He is opposite of me in a lot of ways, and he challenges me in such a way that I actually take it on and try. I usually react to people who try to "change" me and run in the opposite direction (i.e. Parents). I'm still working on that. Eric doesn't try to change me, because he loves me exactly the way I am. But everyone who is married knows how much your spouse can touch those areas like no one else can.

I couldn't be happier with our little life. I may not get a whole bed to myself, but I get to fall asleep in the arms of someone who loves me more than his own life. I may not be able to stay out late and party all the time (though still occasionally), but I get to go on dates with my best friend. I can't be irresponsible with my money and buy whatever I want, but I have more money to speak of now. And besides, responsibility is never a bad thing.

Marriage may impose some boundaries on your life, but it also opens up opportunities you would never have otherwise. It is an indescribable bond between two people unlike anything else on earth. It's something God created, and therefore, no man can separate it.

"To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with." (Mark Twain)

No comments:

Post a Comment